thumb1

Tsimandria - See on Map

The name is originated from the pronunciation of the article in the expression "st's mandres", ie paddocks, from the stockyards that were in the area.

 

Description

The name is originated from the pronunciation of the article in the expression "st's mandres", ie paddocks, from the stockyards that were in the area. From the late Byzantine period and for many centuries there was a strong monasterial presence in the region of Tsimandria. On October 8, 1912 it was the first village of Limnos that greeted the Greek soldiers who had debarked on the nearby coast Vourlidia. The residents are showing with pride the bridge near the school where the Greek flag was set up for the first time.

In 1915 many soldiers from Britain and the colonies who participated in the unsuccessful expedition of Gallipoli, were hosted there. Also in 1918-21 the inhabitants have treated Russian exiles, both militaries from the Wrangel army and civilians who had taken refuge temporarily in Limnos.

In 1935 the shed fountain in the square of the village and other fountains were built, the cultivation of cotton began, but also the Association "Kechagiades" was founded, which operates until today and has a great contribution to the preservation of traditional music, songs, dances and costumes of Limnos.

Location

 

Pin It