Previous ◁ | ▷ Next
 

Sardes - See on Map

thumb1

The village corresponds to the Byzantine settlement Ardia or Ardeiai which existed in northwestern Limnos.

 

Description

The village corresponds to the Byzantine settlement Ardia or Ardeiai which existed in northwestern Limnos. Over the years by the expression "st's Ardeies - st's Ardes" arosed the place name Sardes. According to the local tradition, the residents were forced to move from the coastal place Ardes, because of the pirate risk. After an epidemic, the inhabitants abandoned the new place and moved to its present position. The church of the village is Agios Dimitrios. It is a basilica, has two bell towers of Notre Dame style and reminds the churches of the European cities. Agios Dimitrios was built in 1852 at the expenses of the residents and the prelate, as mentioned in an inscription. In 1874, a three-grade school was founded in Sardes, one of the twelve that were created in Limnos. In 1882, was housed in a new building made of stone, which was located in the position that today we find the war memorial of the village. In 1912, it was demolished and with the same materials was rebuilt in a new location.

Location

 

Pin It