agiosdhmhtrios karpasi

My Hot Spots

Login and create your own personal guide!


Agios Dimitrios

The village was established after 1922 by refugees from Asia Minor, from Reizntere OF Erithrea. Earlier there was a small Turkish village, Lera. The residents rescued the following legend about the origin of the name of their village. There were two brothers once who inherited Limnos by their lord father and decided to share the island with boundary the point they should encounter, starting with the dawn , one from Plaka and the other from Kastro. But the one who started from Plaka, left earlier and covered a longer path. When they finally met, his brother understood the trickiness and called him "lera" Thus the meeting point acquired the appellation Lera. In 1947 the residents renamed it into Agios Dimitrios, in honor of the patron Saint of the church of their lost homeland.



Livadochori is located at the center of the island, at the exact position where the roads coming from Myrina and Kontia are intersecting and lead to the eastern Limnos. It named after the extensive plain which surrounds it. According to tradition, the village was originally built further west, between the churches St. Ioannis and St. Vassilios. Its initial name was Kefalochori. An epidemic, forced the inhabitants to move to the current position.



According to the local tradition, the village was located in the valley where today is the airport, specifically in the site Trochalomandra, where debris and ruins of houses have been found. But the pirate attacks, forced the inhabitants to move to the low high ground Karpas, which is east of the great plains of central Limnos. About the origin of the place name, various versions have been formulated. In one version, the appellation of the hill and then the village came from the Turkish «karabas: black head" in a second of the «kalpak: kalpaki, abbot cap" while a third, connects the place name with the plant "Karpas: type of flax or cotton," which was abounded there.



The village's name is attributed to A variation of the ancient name Attica, revealing the existence of an ancient settlement there. Another view, that the name came from the Turkish "Atsik: open (place)" because of the great plain which surrounds IS NOT VALID, since the place name had already been mentioned in the 13th century, long before the Turks came to Limnos.

Considerable people of letters and the arts originate from Atsiki. John Fotiadis, important sculptor who came from Asia Minor. Peter Charanis (1908-86) renowned Byzantologist who was the dean of Byzantine studies in the U.S.A. Tasos Kapsidelis(1913-1987), the tireless historian and philologist who authored four important historical books about Limnos. The doctor Stavros Tragaras, who was also painter, poet and the soul of the Association of the people from Atsiki inAthens, with notable initiatives such as the publication of the newspaper "The Voice of Atsiki" the organization of thematic seminars for literati of Atsiki and stonecutters, for cotton. George Tsimouris, professor of sociology at the Panteion University, with studies on the movement of populations from Asia Minor in the villages of Limnos, their manners and customs.

In Atsiki there is the church of Agios Georgios, with its stone carved bell tower and also the beach Agios Ermolaos (Agiarmola) with its rare rock formations.

Pin It