thumb1

thumb1

Romanou - See on Map

Although there is no evidence, logically the name came from an old landowner called "Romanos", as in many other cases in all the island.

 

Description

Although there is no evidence, logically the name came from an old landowner called "Romanos", as in many other cases in all the island. The village became a community in 1918 under the name Romanos. In 1940 it was renamed in Romanon but called Romanou. According to oral testimonies, the inhabitants settled in the current area about 200 years ago in order to protect themselves from pirates. Formerly they lived near the Bay of Moudros, in the area of the hill Boucranos.      

During the 19th century the village grew rapidly and in 1830 the inhabitants erected the magnificent Holy temple of the Nativity of Christ, with the donation of a wealthy compatriot. The church has marvelous carved stone masonry and wooden temple with original icons (Adam and Eve, Cataclysm, Jericho Trumpets, Babel Tower, Cain and Abel) by Efstratios Chaimade who was an icon painter from Imvros and which Conze admired in 1858. The impressive exonarthex with the neo-Gothic rhythm windows, the pear-shaped decorative motifs and the carved column capitals, erected at the expense of the villagers on the first of July 1881. In 1849 the source of the holy water at the entrance of the village was renovated.

Interesting sights are also the church of Saints Constantinou and Helen’s with the sculped temple, the carved wine earthenware jars, the school that was built in 1936, the carved stone war memorial and the church of Agios Fotidas in Komi (Komi is a desert at the present time rural settlement of Limnos which is located northeast of Romanos. In Komi there was a temple of Hercules).

Location