Previous ◁ | ▷ Next
 

Panagia - Δείτε το χάρτη

thumb1

According to the local tradition the place name Panagia predates the village and came from an old monastery.

 

Description

According to the local tradition the place name Panagia predates the village and came from an old monastery. By the mid-19th century on the northeast Limnos between the village Kontopouli and the cape Plaka there wasn’t any villages. There were only a few isolated huts that belonged to the Turkish agads of Anypati . Panagia was founded around 1865 by residents of Agios Ypatios and Kontopouli who had estates in the area. As the first settlers are considered , Katogoudis Comninos , Ioannis Lagos , Emmanuel Paximadas , Dimitrios Tsagdis and Ioannis Kechagias. The site “Panagia” was chosen, where it was the old Byzantine monastery at the foot of the hill " Alepotrypes ' , probably because it was approximately the same distance from the western and eastern coasts, thus providing greater security.

Location

 

Pin It