My Hot Spots

Login and create your own personal guide!


thumb1

Moudros - See on Map

The area in Moudros was inhabited since prehistoric times.

 

Description

The area in Moudros was inhabited since prehistoric times. The name Moudros is of unknown origin. The most probable considered the version that emerged because of a granite rock from solidified lava that existed near the port and it was where the sailors were lashing their ships.

The Church of Taxiarches was built in 1835. It is a three-ailed with a subsequent exonarthex and the wooden temple is a replica of the temple of a church in Smyrni. The church of the Evangelistria was built in 1903-1904. It is three-ailed basilica with towers on the bell tower and has impressive architectural elements. The epitaph is a gift from admiral Kountouriotis. On the site where the temple was built, formerly there was the dependency of Agia Marina of Koutloumousiou of which the Holy Table and some buildings are saved. The dependency had a tragic ending. The Turks burned it down with seven monks, when in a well of the dependency they found dead some Turkish officers. Only two monks survived, who fled to Koutloumousi and denounced that the Turks had been killed by local residents, in order to incriminate the monks, the dependency to be and to take ownership its fields. Then the abbot excommunicated the village, which was solved solemnly just a few years ago.

In 1912 Moudros became well known throughout Greece, when admiral Koudouriotis rendered it as a base of operations of the fleet during the Balkan Wars. During the First World War experienced great traffic, since it was the seat of the English military administration. In the nearby hills towards Koukonisi and Fanaraki tens of thousands of soldiers encamped. The port was converted into a naval station in order to serve the allied fleet who anchored in the bay. The southern beach, the so-called "Airport" formed as a landing site for seaplanes. Hundreds of dead soldiers from the Gallipoli expedition, mostly Australians and New Zealanders, were buried in the British cemetery, which is maintained until today. In 1918 the village gained worldwide fame when the "Treaty of Moudros' between Turkey and the allies was signed there. After the war, for a time, t Moudros became a place of exile. In "Cantata for Makronisos" Ritsos refers to "our dog Dick, of Moudros group, who was killed by the gendarmes because the loved the exiles very much."

Location

 

Pin It