katalakos kornos Dafni-1 dafni2

My Hot Spots

Login and create your own personal guide!



The village got its name from the fountain that existed in the settlement and its plentiful waters. There is a aspect that the name was derived from the settlement Kourouni of Agios Dimitrios. Many benefactors of the island, mainly Egyptians migrants come from Limnos. Best known was Ulysses J. Pantelides, who gave the money for the purchase of Pantelideio.

Not far from Kornos we find Therma with its healing, hot springs. The water in Therma is welling from two sources. It comes from a depth of 1200 meters and has a temperature of 42-44 degrees. It's healing and is recommended for both balneotherapy (arthritis, osteoporosis, rheumatism, arthritis, spondylitis) and for drinking therapy (kidney stones, gallstones). It contains minimal amount of salts,it is clear and palatable. In Therma there were operated baths since at least 1548. It is mentioned by Belon that in that time, there was a small changing room room and a vaulted chamber with a stone bathtub, which survive today in newer buildings. In a map which accompanies an edition of 1588, a road is marked that connected Kastro with Thermes and the nearby hill of Profitis Elias. This road, which continued to the eastern Limnos, was in use until the early postwar years when a realignment was made. Today the water of the source is used for drinking by many Lemnians, who flock there and fill up their flasks from the old fountains which were built in 1908.



The village corresponds to the Byzantine settlement Ardia or Ardeiai which existed in northwestern Limnos. Over the years by the expression "st's Ardeies - st's Ardes" arosed the place name Sardes. According to the local tradition, the residents were forced to move from the coastal place Ardes, because of the pirate risk. After an epidemic, the inhabitants abandoned the new place and moved to its present position. The church of the village is Agios Dimitrios. It is a basilica, has two bell towers of Notre Dame style and reminds the churches of the European cities. Agios Dimitrios was built in 1852 at the expenses of the residents and the prelate, as mentioned in an inscription. In 1874, a three-grade school was founded in Sardes, one of the twelve that were created in Limnos. In 1882, was housed in a new building made of stone, which was located in the position that today we find the war memorial of the village. In 1912, it was demolished and with the same materials was rebuilt in a new location.



The village took its name by the location where is built, in a deep stream. It is hidden so well, that the visitor is able to see it only when he reaches the edge of the upper hill. Before the relocation at the present position, for protection from piracy, many residents were living on the north coast of the island, in Gomati (an area with extensive beach and medieval remains). The church of the village, Agios Modestos, was built in 1856 at the expense and work of the residents.

The church has a simple couple roof and in the interior the colorful panels of wooden carvings are dominating, work of the early 20th century. In this area we find the Sand dunes, a sandy area of 70 acres away from the coast, and also Ammdes where the "lily of the sea ' which is a protected flower grows in August.



The original name of the village was Sverdia and appears to be related with the medieval word sivergidia which means many osiers. The place name Sivergidia, which refers to chrysobulls from Mount Athos that were found in the nearby dependency Charakas, reinforces the above aspect. In 1956 the village was renamed into Daphnei, from a large oleander that dominates in the area, because the place name Sverdia was jarring. In 1858 Conze visited the village and noted it on the map as Swerdia. He designed a ancient bas-relief which was embedded in the small church of Agios Dimitrios and was pointed out to him by the priest. This temple, which was old, is called today Agios Dimitrios Chouchlou. At that time, the temple of Agioi Anargiroi was being built, which was completed in 1872. It has a beautiful wooden carved temple. As it is reported, some native sailors brought the necessary stones for its construction from Malta and the inhabitants carried them from the coast with animals.

Pin It