Previous ◁ | ▷ Next
 

Lychna - See on Map

thumb1

It is the first village that someone faces while entering the Gulf of Moudros.

 

Description

It is the first village that someone faces while entering the Gulf of Moudros, which is why according to the tradition, the name came from the lights of the houses, which the seafarers were seeing while sailing in the bay at night.

The parish church of Agios. Dimitrios was built in 1865. In 1905 at the initiative of immigrants from the U.S.A., $ 456 were gathered for the renovation of the temple. Eventually, in 1924 an impressive external narthex with a single ashlar stone masonry was added. Two carved columns with ornately column capitals, rather belong to an oldest temple. The school building was erected in 1910 in a prominent position. In the village there is a windmill that has been reconstructed and dominates in a nearby hill at the edge of the village. 

Certain people who excelled in public life came from Lychna. The great benefactor of Limnos Nikolaos Dallas (1855-1933), who became rich in Egypt and, up to 1910 when he got bankrupt, he was the driving force and the president of the Brotherhood of the Lemnians in Alexandria. He donated 1.5 acres at Lychna’s school to become a school garden. The teacher Charalambos Karapanagiotis (1912-2006), who served in schools in Thrace, Varos, Moudros and Athens. During the occupancy, he was an associate of the Harbour Master John Arvanitakis. The priest and teacher Panagiotis Kontaridis (1873 -;) who was a graduate of the great school of Smyrna. He served in Tsimandria (1903-04) and Plaka (1905-1910). 

Location

 

Pin It