Kondopouli - See on Map

thumb1

The village owes its name to the Byzantine landowner Kontopoulos.

 

Description

The village owes its name to the Byzantine landowner Kontopoulos. The first inhabitants came from Hephaestia, Kotsinas and Agios Hypatios. During the occupation, Kondopouli suffered by German troops, which caused many disasters in schools and other public buildings, plundered the property of rich and poors, taking of hostages. The military unit of Kontopouli was among the last who abandoned Limnos in 1944. In the Civil War the poet Yannis Ritsos lived in Kontopouli as an exile, a fact which is mentioned in his poems.

In 1948 he composed here the "Smoked Pot" and two "Calendars of Exile." Attractions in the region of great importance are the church of Agios. Demetrios, the church of Agia. Anastasia and the subterranean “holy water”, The stone curving fountain, the archaeological site of Hephaestia the archaeological site of Kabeiria and Aliki (wetland).

Location

 

Pin It