Previous ◁ | ▷ Next
 

Kondias - See on Map

thumb1

The village become a community in 1918, it was initially named Konthias, which corrected into Kondias in 1940.

 

Description

The village become a community in 1918, it was initially named Konthias, which corrected into Kondias in 1940. Its name came from the Byzantine landowner of the area Konteas. According to oral narrations, originally the village was near the sea but was abandoned because of pirates attacks.

The oldest church of the village is Agios Ioannis o Vaptistis. It is rather small and has a fortress-like construction, with loopholes and cannons. It is estimated that it was built in the 16th century. It has got many pictures and in the 70s decade was operating as a museum.

The parish church Agios Dimitrios was built in 1867, it is a basilica, with a covered exonarthex supported on monolithic columns with elaborate capitals. It is imposing with an impressive stone tower, a subsequent construction. One other church is the Nativity of Christ, which formerly belonged to the dependency of Lavra Monastery, burned down and was rebuilt in 1938.

Location

 

Pin It