thumb1

thumb1

Katalakkos - See on Map

The village took its name by the location where is built, in a deep stream.

 

Description

The village took its name by the location where is built, in a deep stream. It is hidden so well, that the visitor is able to see it only when he reaches the edge of the upper hill. Before the relocation at the present position, for protection from piracy, many residents were living on the north coast of the island, in Gomati (an area with extensive beach and medieval remains). The church of the village, Agios Modestos, was built in 1856 at the expense and work of the residents.

The church has a simple couple roof and in the interior the colorful panels of wooden carvings are dominating, work of the early 20th century. In this area we find the Sand dunes, a sandy area of 70 acres away from the coast, and also Ammdes where the "lily of the sea ' which is a protected flower grows in August.

Location

 

Pin It