Previous ◁ | ▷ Next
 

Kaminia - See on Map

thumb1

According to the tradition, the village was initially located at the beach of Vroskopos.

 

Description

According to the tradition, the village was initially located at the beach of Vroskopos, where Byzantine cemeteries have been found. The village's name came from the existence of kilns in which either the people manufactured clay pots or melted metals. During the decade of 1920-1930 excavations were started which revealed the prehistoric city Poliochni. In the area of Kaminia there are many attractions of particular importance. You can visit there the carved Pelasgian tombs, the "Column of Kaminion" the church of Koimisi tis Theotokou which was built in 1852, the old fountain and theTurkish inscription, the bust of the author Argyriou Moschidis and the stone paved square. 

In Kaminia there are many old chapels. Specifically, Agios Alexandros of Sokastro (1930), Agios Alexandros of Ancona (1911), Agios Alexandros of Merpia (before 1900), Agia Barbara (before 1917), Agios Vlassis (before 1900), Agios Georgios of Vroskopos, Agios Georgios of the Harbour (1882), Agios Ioannis of Mesarachi (1873), Agios Ioannis of Kaminia (1881), Agios Dimitrios (1884), Agios Nicholaos (1861), Kato Panagia (1916), Agia Paraskevi (before 1900), Agia Pelagia (1878), Agios Stratis (1899).   

Very beautiful beaches in the area are Xespasmata, Molos and Kokkinovrachos / Agia Triada. 

Location