thumb1

Agios Dimitrios - See on Map

The village was established after 1922 by refugees from Asia Minor, from Reizntere OF Erithrea.

Description

The village was established after 1922 by refugees from Asia Minor, from Reizntere OF Erithrea. Earlier there was a small Turkish village, Lera. The residents rescued the following legend about the origin of the name of their village. There were two brothers once who inherited Limnos by their lord father and decided to share the island with boundary the point they should encounter, starting with the dawn , one from Plaka and the other from Kastro. But the one who started from Plaka, left earlier and covered a longer path. When they finally met, his brother understood the trickiness and called him "lera" Thus the meeting point acquired the appellation Lera. In 1947 the residents renamed it into Agios Dimitrios, in honor of the patron Saint of the church of their lost homeland.

 

Location

 

Pin It